Thursday, February 19, 2009

Estudiar, Estudiar

Hola!

As I write this, I probably should be studying. I have a final exam tomorrow for my grammar class. I can't believe the intensive period is over already! That means I've been here for 3 weeks. Monday begins the continuation period, and I'll be taking new classes. I'm really excited for that to start (especially since I don't have class until 10:15!).

Oh! And I found a church. It's about a 15 minute walk from my apartment, in the barrio (neighborhood) of Triana (I live in Los Remedios). The service is at 11:00, because Spaniards don't really believe the morning exists. Side note: The first Saturday I was here, I told my senora I was going to wake up at 8:00 or 9:00, and she just looked at me like I had three heads. Then she said, “That's very early.” So I slept until 10:00, and I was still the first person awake. Anyway! The service is 2 hours long (longer than services in the US), but it was great. It's a really small church, with about 50 people, but the room was small too, so people were overflowing into the lobby. There were a couple other students from my program there, as well as American students from other programs in the city. After the service, the members of the church invited us to stay for a big lunch they were having (ahh, just like at home) and for a presentation about all the countries represented in the church. Apparently there are a lot of immigrants in Seville, because I met people from Bolivia, Columbia, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Peru, Argentina, Chile, England, and France. And that was an excellent start to the week. :)

I’ll leave you with my favorite pictures from my trip this past weekend to Jerez and Arcos de la Frontera. The first one is the view from the lookout on the mountain where the puebla blanca (white village) is built. All the buildings in the village are painted white. The second one… well, I think you can figure it out.

Que tenga un buen dia!



No comments:

Post a Comment